Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Another VB upgrade pending, looking for input

  1. #21
    Just going on record that I would never censor myself by 'shortening' a post I felt was as long as I wanted it to be with spoiler tags or any other mechanism. I suspect there is an upper character limit on posts enforced automatically but beyond that I think the text portion of posts should aways be displayed in their entirety.

    If something is off topic then it should certainly be taken to PM but if two people happen to be the only ones who choose to discuss an issue that pertains to the topic of the thread back and forth for a while I see no reason why they should have to censor themselves in case someone wants to skip their entire exchange.

    An alternative, probably not viable without making the db or the site do extra work might be an option to let everyone set their own 'max post display length' and crop any posts that are longer than this length for the users who choose to do so. That way only the people who actively dislike long posts will be affected (beyond the general overhead of handling the feature of course).

  2. #22
    Benevolent Dictator
    complich8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    some terminal somewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,187
    Blog Entries
    1
    Max characters per post is 20,000. Default was 10, but back when I was a lot more active I ran into it once or twice and decided to up the limit. 20,000 is a damned lot of characters, which I'm not going to help you visualize here... but you can do 20000 bytes in the lipsum generator. To be clear, 10k is more than anyone should need in forum-ish discussion, and if you're breaking the 5k mark on a forum post you probably need to stop writing and give George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" a bit of your attention.

    As for "walls of text" being 5 or 6 posts of things not relevant to your interests ... yeah, that's annoying. But you can pretty much skim a post in like 5 seconds and find out whether it merits further reading. So ... 6 irrelevant posts ... that's what, 30 seconds of your life? I've spent more than that typing this reply >_<.

    On the topic of larger sigs... I've experimented with 500x125 and 125x125 avatars in the current layout (and given them out as contest rewards to a couple people). They're pretty reasonable in those circumstances. I'm not sure that 150px height isn't a bridge too far for me, and I like the 4:1 aspect ratio on them (they were originally limited to 400x80, if you remember back before my reign of terror started). Avatar and sig limits can be adjusted after the migration though, so that's a deferred decision.

    Threaded and nested conversations... my best answer is this:


    I invite any discussion regarding layout and feature decisions on the forums, but spoiler tags are a closed issue that we're pretty much in agreement on. Not happening, let's move on.

    On the related topic of remake-series (like ... any rehash of anything, at all)... yeah, that's a tough one. I guess it really depends on whether everyone's seen it or not, and how different it is. If they follow very similar lines (like it sounds like you're talking about), I think it'd be ok to talk about subjects that have already occurred in the remake. So like, if shinji fell down some stairs in episode 17 of the original evangelion, and Asuka pushed him down the same stairs in episode 17 of an eva remake, that'd be fair comparison grounds, but only consistent with our other spoiler rules for when you can talk about something. That'd be my take on it anyway. I doubt people who're watching dbkai are going to go back and slog through twice as much badly-paced dbz to find out what Roshi was doing when Goku was making a genki-dama, you know?
    Last edited by complich8; Thu, 06-10-2010 at 12:34 AM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8 View Post
    Max characters per post is 20,000. Default was 10, but back when I was a lot more active I ran into it once or twice and decided to up the limit. 20,000 is a damned lot of characters, which I'm not going to help you visualize here... but you can do 20000 bytes in the lipsum generator. To be clear, 10k is more than anyone should need in forum-ish discussion, and if you're breaking the 5k mark on a forum post you probably need to stop writing and give George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" a bit of your attention.

    As for "walls of text" being 5 or 6 posts of things not relevant to your interests ... yeah, that's annoying. But you can pretty much skim a post in like 5 seconds and find out whether it merits further reading. So ... 6 irrelevant posts ... that's what, 30 seconds of your life? I've spent more than that typing this reply >_<.

    On the topic of larger sigs... I've experimented with 500x125 and 125x125 avatars in the current layout (and given them out as contest rewards to a couple people). They're pretty reasonable in those circumstances. I'm not sure that 150px height isn't a bridge too far for me, and I like the 4:1 aspect ratio on them (they were originally limited to 400x80, if you remember back before my reign of terror started). Avatar and sig limits can be adjusted after the migration though, so that's a deferred decision.

    Threaded and nested conversations... my best answer is this:


    I invite any discussion regarding layout and feature decisions on the forums, but spoiler tags are a closed issue that we're pretty much in agreement on. Not happening, let's move on.

    On the related topic of remake-series (like ... any rehash of anything, at all)... yeah, that's a tough one. I guess it really depends on whether everyone's seen it or not, and how different it is. If they follow very similar lines (like it sounds like you're talking about), I think it'd be ok to talk about subjects that have already occurred in the remake. So like, if shinji fell down some stairs in episode 17 of the original evangelion, and Asuka pushed him down the same stairs in episode 17 of an eva remake, that'd be fair comparison grounds, but only consistent with our other spoiler rules for when you can talk about something. That'd be my take on it anyway. I doubt people who're watching dbkai are going to go back and slog through twice as much badly-paced dbz to find out what Roshi was doing when Goku was making a genki-dama, you know?
    Hmm, did the "Yes, Click Not Required" enable itself when the forum got upgraded? I'm pretty sure it used to require a click, and I liked it that way...

  4. #24
    Benevolent Dictator
    complich8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    some terminal somewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,187
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't believe so, 'cause I've pretty much never had to click to reply except when I'm in hybrid/nested mode (which .... yeah, haven't been there in a while).

    I'd have to check my pre-upgrade backups to be sure though, and that's ... not very fun.

  5. #25
    I seem to remember the box always being greyed-out until you hit the quick-reply icon on someone's post.

    Edit: I actually complained about it right after the upgrade:
    http://forums.gotwoot.net/showpost.p...82&postcount=8

  6. #26
    Benevolent Dictator
    complich8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    some terminal somewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,187
    Blog Entries
    1
    hrmm. Right. Kind of odd, because I seem to remember never having to click to quickreply before. Maybe it's a display mode behavior change or something?

    So I guess that's another question to ask the audience: quickreply with or without qreply button click. I'm gonna go make another poll...

  7. #27
    Orochimaru Stalker Sapphire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    sídhe
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,240
    Is more inbox space up for discussion? Also, gallery revamp?
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Is more inbox space up for discussion? Also, gallery revamp?
    How much space do you guys currently have available?

  9. #29
    It wasn't much Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,833
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    How much space do you guys currently have available?
    We had 100 but then comp upped it to 200 which i feel is more than enough

  10. #30
    Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,354
    I'm not a big fan of wide layouts. I bought a 24 inch monitor so I could have a browser next to a text editor next to a VLC window, not so websites could get wider.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

  11. #31
    Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paris & Versailles, France
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by poopdeville View Post
    I'm not a big fan of wide layouts. I bought a 24 inch monitor so I could have a browser next to a text editor next to a VLC window, not so websites could get wider.
    The layout is like 1000 pixels wide, which is not that much on a 1920 pixel width monitor... unless you have a 1680 pixel one which is a shame on a 24" screen


    Regarding message editor, there's an option for a full WYSIWYG editor but it might not be available yet?

    All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

  12. #32
    It wasn't much Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,833
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yo complich, i recall you saying something about a mobile version? How's the status on that idea?

  13. #33
    Benevolent Dictator
    complich8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    some terminal somewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,187
    Blog Entries
    1
    entertained the thought, haven't pursued it yet...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •