Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: COVID19

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Social distancing, masks, we have that with a myriad of exceptions, laws that end too soon and your usual politicians/journalists fake news/opinions making things over complicated...
    When basically it's simple:
    -social distancing is the first basic rule, avoid all unecessary social activities and try to minimise the unavoidable ones. That includes shopping and all activities where you meet people even from your friends or familly circles when you don't live under the same roof.
    -wear a mask whenever social distancing is impossible.
    -wash hands a lot more frequently, yes even after going to the bathroom. Strange idea isn't it ?
    -wear a mask whenever you're away from home is a good practice too, especially in dense cities/places even if social distancing is easy but you cross paths with lots of people.
    -if you are out but in non populated places like walks in the forest/treks/empty beach, do as you please if you're sure to never cross paths with anyone.

But the problem here like everywhere on earth, is that we have a massive pandemic that kills a lot: idiocracy and idiocy...
    Last edited by David75; Mon, 08-31-2020 at 05:53 AM.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I don't personally know anyone who would have had Covid-19, let alone died because of it. Finland went pretty hardcore on it early on and it really helped. There have only been mask recommendations here and there, aside from airplanes with obligatory masks, and most people don't wear one. I only wear one on a bus. I most certainly wear gloves a lot more, though, and use hand sanitisers in stores.

by brothers' girlfriend has mild disease, and her father was hospitalized in a critical condition. both recovered since then.

masks are mandated here, not everybody wears them properly (even i sometimes wear it below the nose), bars and restaurants are somehow packed, and it doesn't feel like they are limiting the number of people.
    the number of new cases did skyrocket in the past few weeks, but it's hard to say how much of it is actual new cases (due to school re-openning at some form) compared to more testing (specifically, politically motivated testing). we might be going into "lock-down" next week (the jewish new year holiday), but it's still not clear whether it's going to be just the cities with high rates, all the country, and what restrictions will be set.
    it's all in the hands of the prime minister, so things can change without a moments' notice.
    Last edited by Death BOO Z; Fri, 09-11-2020 at 11:04 AM.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I broke out a set of masks I had stocked up back in 2018 or something because I had a respiratory infection then. The quality difference is very apparent compared to what I'm using at work right now. The older stuff was thick and comfortable. The Quilton of masks if you will. Current stuff is thin toilet paper and it hurts to wear.

But you know, if they work to the same protection standards and cheaper means we have enough to use then I'm okay with that.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 09-12-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: spelling

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    My American friends still keep doubting the seriousness of the pandemic, to the point that they say they are tired of dealing with it, despite having basically done nothing to actually deal with it... The terrifying thing is my wife likes hanging out with these people for her mental health (gets lonely easily), despite them being an infection risk. I'm basically given a choice of depressing my wife or possibly getting infected by reckless Americans.

I've tried convincing them to be more careful, but that doesn't really work when they think they are invulnerable and don't "truly" give a shit about others. It is a bit shocking how propaganda can affect even generally reasonable people. They buy into Facebook posts with no context or source and won't listen to me even though I go through several articles a day to keep up with covid developments nationally and globally. When I send links to articles, they treat them with the same level of trustworthiness as some rando posting on their feed.

Spunky.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    On a side note, I've kept following/friending old highschool aquantenances on facebook who have quite bogan/objectionable opinions about some stuff in general just to keep my perspective broad.

Annoyingly, my google feed decides that all I want to know about these days are COVID,watches and gaming/PC hardware. All those topics are cool, but it's stuff I already subscribe to on facebook and actively seek out. I'd rather now about other news from a Google feed. Back to actual news outlets we go.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

actually, i think that's kind of a problem, the whole echo chamber thing.
    most of the people in my facebook feed are either friends or people who become friends. it's mostly people with similar backgrounds and political opinions. and the facebook algorithem hides away the few people who don't share my views. it's getting tough to see whats going on outside the small sphere.

Blog Entries
    I actually visit Reddit regularly for that. I don't have any other social media, and I don't even have a reddit account. I just go to the front page and scroll to see what pops up. The top voted comments usually have a good trail of sources, including opposing views. The r/Conservative and similar subreddits really give me a glimpse into the other perspectives, although I have to say it makes me understand where they are coming from even less. The most evident thing is how they have very narrow sources of information and basically reject everything else.

Spunky.